Leeds and the Thousand Islands to celebrate Heritage Week

All week long, the Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands Heritage Committee is celebrating Heritage Week with posts on social media acknowledging 17 properties in TLTI that are now designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. Pictured here is the Mitchell House (Locust Grove Farm). – Submitted photo

The Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands Municipal Heritage Committee is celebrating Heritage Week by acknowledging 17 properties now designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.

The township is doing this through posts on its social media pages all week long, highlighting the protected heritage properties.

These featured properties are: the Buell Cemetery (Old River Road), Cook House (1313 County Road 2), Escott Hall (1367-1369 County Road 2), LaRue Cemetery, Locust Grove Farm (1066 County Road 2), Long Point School (3410 County Road 3), Love Blacksmith Shop (101 Cook Street), Lyndhurst Bridge (County Road 33, Lyndhurst), Massey Farmstead (90 Grenadier Island), Mount Pleasant/The Black Church (260 Black Church Road), Seaman House (28 Old River Road), Soperton Cemetery (190 County Road 42), Springfield House (1365 County Road 2), Stone Haven/Landon House (652 County Road 2), Union Church and Cemetery (548 Union Road), West Grenadier Island Pavilion (2 Grenadier Island) and W.P. Earl General Store (1084 Prince Street).

The Mitchell House (Locust Grove Farm), for example, was an architectural landmark due to its unique features, location and overall visual impression.

The building began as a typical one-and-a-half-storey stone house, but underwent extensive renovations in the 1870s, resulting In Regency proportions, Italianate and Gothic revival details, a new façade and roofline. It is closely associated with the prominent Mitchell family and the hamlet of Mitchellville.

The property was once a 200-acre clergy reserve which was purchased by Valentine Mitchell in 1822. Valentine died on his way to claim the property. His son, Robert, and his wife, Mary Alice, settled on this land. They erected the rubble-stone house.

After the completion of the Rideau Canal, highly trained Scottish stonemasons came into the area. The front and side walls were covered in cut stone. The name Locust Grove was given because of the stand of ancient locust trees in front of this house.

The township will have more such insights into local history on its social media pages all week.

Since 1974, the third Monday of February has been identified as Heritage Day in Canada, while Heritage Week runs until Feb. 25.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Would you like to receive notifications of local breaking news? OK No thanks